- Sleeping mat (keeps you off the cold ground)
- Bowl (plastic) knife, fork, spoon, mug.
- Tea towel (small)
- Soap (small piece)
- Hand cleanser (waterless)
- Towel (light hand towel will do)
- Toilet paper (enough for a few go’s)
Clothes – Start at the bottom and work up
- Shoes, boots, or sturdy sneakers will do (use a waterproofing spray on them)
- 1 x Long pants, (jeans are not good)
- 1 x Shorts – wear them
- Undies (this means more than one)
- Thermal undies (very good at night)
- 1 x Long sleeve shirt
- 1 x Jumper; Not too heavy. Avoid cotton, cotton will not stay warm when wet use a woolen or other synthetic jumper http://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites/FAQ/FAQ_Clothing.htm
- Beanie, Hat.
Other stuff – remember- think light
- Torch (very small)
- Lollies – (lots for energy, team morale booster)
- Long spare shoelaces sometimes come in handy
Whatever you do, don’t just let mum and dad pack for you!
Line your pack with a strong plastic garbage bag, and put your sleeping bag in a separate bag. If you put anything like a tent on the outside of your pack, put that in a plastic bag as well.
Optional other items – TEAMS
This is up to your team but you must be adequately prepared for wet and cold conditions and be able to camp outside a VOC independently of help.
- Pen and paper.
- Cooking gear (consider fuel requirements and make sure you have experience using any stove) do you have enough pots or what you are cooking?